God has a funny way of surprising us. I think He really delights in surprising us when we make bold statements. As Meagan, Jessie and I sat in my “new” apartment enjoying the fact that we were all now living in Texas, one of them asked where I saw myself after grad school. I had no idea. I just knew I was open to whatever God called me to. But I did say, “I’ll be really surprised if He takes me back to San Diego.”
Fast forward a couple of months. I was set to go to Zambia for my clinical externship this summer. Well set in my heart, except that I felt the Lord was tugging me in a different direction. It didn’t make sense. Everything about going to Zambia and loving on orphans AND getting clinical hours sounded perfect! Instead he opened a (miraculous) door in San Diego and answered my prayers for peace as well. He basically dropped this incredible opportunity in my lap. And I was surprised. I interviewed over Thanksgiving break and the internship was mine before I sat down for turkey. Surprise! I’ll be working with an agency in San Diego, getting to see a variety of different clients in different settings.
Then He surprised me again! Over Christmas break, I met this guy, Joel. I’m pretty crazy about him! And I am so excited that I’ll be in San Diego for the summer to spend more time with him. See? God’s sweet surprises are way better than our plans. Yes we are doing long distance for now and we’re getting pretty good at FaceTime dates!
Another recent surprise was the creation of these muffins! I’ve always been terrified of making up baking recipes. I know there is a chemistry to it; and I didn’t want to take the time to research it. So I decided to go for it. Just threw some ingredients in a bowl, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. I was shocked when they turned out so well!
I call these Paleo Chocolate Coconut Muffins with Coconut Butter. It’s a really long name and not very original. But what they lack in a name they make up for in flavor. These are not too sweet and perfect as a pre-workout snack, breakfast or dessert!
Paleo Chocolate Coconut Muffins
- 1 medium sweet potato (cooked and mashed)
- 1/2 cup of Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil (melted)
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons honey (depending on sweet you want them)
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes (optional – you could also add dark chocolate chips or nuts)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Tropical Traditions Coconut Cream Concentrate
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare 12 muffin cups (I use silicone baking cups, they’re the best)!
2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift coconut flour, cocoa powder and spices together, add baking powder.
3. Combine sweet potato, eggs, honey, coconut oil and vanilla; whisk until well blended.
4. Add in dry mixture.
5. Fold in coconut flakes or other add-ins.
6. Divide the batter among the 12 cups. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Or until a knife comes out clean!
7. Drizzle some coconut butter on top and enjoy! You can leave this step out if you want to store them. They keep well in the freezer!
Take some time to ask God for a few surprises this week. He won’t let you down!
[If you order by clicking on any of my links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.]